Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Make the for sale and wanted sections open to non-members?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Chas
 Chas
(@chas)
Member Moderator
31/10/2014 10:32 am  

Neil, I couldn't have put it better. 🙂

I had spotted the slow down in progress Chas. Hard to regard 7 votes (though verybmuch appreciated) as a consensus of the membership of the forum, I'd rather hoped for a higher proportion of the club members who frequent the forum to join in and vote.

I realise that you are keen to get on with changes, I'd like to discuss in private the concerns of the member who voted 'No' to understand whether a specific implementation would alleviate these concerns and constitute an unanimous (though still limited) vote.

If any Committee member reading this wants to let me know if any specific stance should be taken I'm happy to work this into the mix.

Thanks,

Ian.

OK, eight is not much of a positive response. But it IS a response from people that get involved.
Given the amount of members that do contribute, as opposed to only posting when they want something, I recon it's about right.

So how long is the poll going to run?????

Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.

ReplyQuote
Penfold
(@penfold)
Reputable Member Customer
31/10/2014 1:38 pm  

I just looked through the membership list and made a note of which members have contributed regularly, and the reality of it is that there are ten Forum members who are very active.

Therefore I would guess that our poll here has probably captured 9/10 of us, and that might be about as many as we can reasonably expect.

On a positive note, although we might number only around a dozen, the information that flows through is very valuable, as well as being fast.

If we go with the majority vote, and move the Classifieds section to the public area, I suggest we start afresh rather than shift the existing adverts, otherwise any phone numbers and addresses in adverts already posted would be moved across too. So rather than trawl through them all to check, I think it better to begin again in the open area.

ReplyQuote
Chas
 Chas
(@chas)
Member Moderator
31/10/2014 3:39 pm  

Yes Andy, I think you are right.

But just look at the number of members/registered users that have viewed the poll.

Strange, very strange!

It say's something!!!!

Regards.
Chas.

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. A optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.

ReplyQuote
neilyboy
(@neilyboy)
02/11/2014 9:43 am  

so many watchers not enough do'ers

ReplyQuote
Ian Till
(@ian-till)
Member Admin
02/11/2014 10:22 am  

If we go with the majority vote, and move the Classifieds section to the public area, I suggest we start afresh rather than shift the existing adverts, otherwise any phone numbers and addresses in adverts already posted would be moved across too. So rather than trawl through them all to check, I think it better to begin again in the open area.

Thanks Andy, that is how I think I would implement this. I have also considered parallel running the old sections so that anyone with live adverts that they want to be transferred can request so (for a mod to move) or to provide the existing (members only) service in parallel.

The real issues coming out here are over trust of the people we may end up dealing with and inevitably we (as the forum users) will need to draft a set of terms and conditions that all users have to agree to in order to use the forum. Verifying new users is more problematic, but I could (with some work) set up a scheme where a postal transaction needs to be completed to establish credentials before rights to post in the classifieds section are allowed.

Disputes are also exceedingly difficult to handle, so the T's and C's would have to make it clear that the forum staff can't do much more than try to arbitrate and in the limit dont have much more power to act over and above banning one or both parties from the forum, which is the big stick I sont like to see used anywhere other than on spammers.

ReplyQuote
DaveD
(@daved)
Member Moderator
02/11/2014 11:53 am  

Would it be worth considering, at this late stage, having a trial period of say six or twelve months and then have an "opinion poll" of those who voted in favour, or against, to assess reaction ? Alternatively, just pick a date some time next year and do the poll ?

DaveD

ReplyQuote
Chas
 Chas
(@chas)
Member Moderator
02/11/2014 4:52 pm  

Thanks Andy, that is how I think I would implement this. I have also considered parallel running the old sections so that anyone with live adverts that they want to be transferred can request so (for a mod to move) or to provide the existing (members only) service in parallel.

That sounds reasonable.

The real issues coming out here are over trust of the people we may end up dealing with and inevitably we (as the forum users) will need to draft a set of terms and conditions that all users have to agree to in order to use the forum. Verifying new users is more problematic, but I could (with some work) set up a scheme where a postal transaction needs to be completed to establish credentials before rights to post in the classifieds section are allowed.

That would put some folks off messing with the computer. What are credentials? They could put in any old bull****. Sounds like a CYA to me.

Disputes are also exceedingly difficult to handle, so the T's and C's would have to make it clear that the forum staff can't do much more than try to arbitrate and in the limit dont have much more power to act over and above banning one or both parties from the forum, which is the big stick I sont like to see used anywhere other than on spammers.

What are T & Cs?
As regards arbitration (sounds like we could be running a trade union).
If the postings are of foul language, abusive or indications of, being non conformative (to the club or forum), or bearing no relation to a genuine posting.....Surely, we the moderators can control it.
It's a case of being hard on the bad boys and use the big stick to run a tight ship public section on the forum.

Regards.
Chas.

ReplyQuote
Tom Evans
(@tom-evans)
05/11/2014 10:07 am  

Chas
I think you need to stop buying cheep key boards from china.
Tom

If it's open to the public it will invite non paying members, but with only a few members from around the whole world interested in joining our forum not getting enough usage. But with many people generally interested in old cars but only giving a passing glance to Vauxhalls, I think the forum could be more interesting if more people were able to join in, I would be happy to have the whole forum subscription free. As for security, don't get too personal, it surely can't be any worse than facebook?

ReplyQuote
Ian Till
(@ian-till)
Member Admin
05/11/2014 11:35 pm  

现在是17天。
它会不会发生?

也许是喜剧麻烦巡航能力开放,走向世界!

查斯

No need to shout... I know it has been 17 days...

https://translate.google.com/m/translate#auto/en/现在是17天%E3%80%82%20%0A它会不会发生?%20%0A%0A也许是喜剧麻烦巡航能力开放,走向世界!%20%0A%0A查斯

Sorry, I have been at work, I get home, have something to eat and by the time I have cleared my chores, it is almost time for bed...

😉

Ian.

ReplyQuote
Jez Benson
(@jez-benson)
Eminent Member Customer
30/12/2014 7:04 pm  

I've voted yes. But I would like a trial period to see how things pan out, and if members benefit from this decision.
Security is my main concern I don't want to be bombarded with spam. (Spam spam spam spam spam, eggs bacon and spam, spam spam, baked beans and spam, spam spam spam spam and spam).

ReplyQuote
Ian Till
(@ian-till)
Member Admin
01/01/2015 11:00 am  

Hi Jez,

I don't think that the forum can deluge you with spam as your address isn't provided at any point to anybody unless you post it openly within a message. Equally anyone wanting to respond to your for sale messages would need to reply in your thread, send you a Private Message via the forum, or use the 'EMAIL' button under your post, which sends you an email through the forum's email account.

If of course you are receiving email from people that you don't want to via the forum, you can hide the 'EMAIL' button from your profile and that will prevent any further use as it won't be displayed with your posts.

Did someone say SPAM? I was thinking that we've killed spam, dead, bereft of life.... 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: